It can be very intimidating to walk into an event or meeting if you don't know anyone. It's even more intimidating to walk up to someone and introduce yourself. However, networking is vital to growing a business, a non-profit organization or even promoting your career. With some networking basics and some practice, networking events can soon become fun!
Dress the part. How you present yourself is how people are going to treat you. I have been blessed with younger-than-my-age looks and it's amazing how differently people speak to me depending on how I'm dressed. When I'm out running errands, dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, people assume that I'm in high school - or college if I'm lucky. When I'm dressed in my business attire, people call me "Mamn."
Smile! A smile goes a long way in how people perceive and remember you. Would you rather speak with someone who's smiling or who has a serious look on their face. Plus, a smile will help relax your nerves when approaching a stranger.
Have a 30 second elevator pitch ready. Know what you're going to say when someone asks, "So, what do you do?"
Have plenty of business cards ready. But, don't pass them out to everyone. Only hand someone a card if you have a rapport with them. I can't count how many times I've gone to a networking event and come home with a handful of business cards from people that I didn't even speak to. Guess where those cards ended up...
Don't work the room. It's better to build a relationship with one or two people than to meet everyone in the entire room and not remember the name of the first person you spoke to. You will more likely stay in touch with the one or two people that you build a relationship with.
Be ready to network anywhere at anytime. Just because you're not at a business function doesn't mean that you won't meet the person who could be your next big break, your new best friend or just someone who might be able to help you out.
Networking has proven to be invaluable to growing my business. What can it do for you? :)
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the elevator pitch idea, but I loathe the question "What do you do?" I think it sets up people to talk about (usually) their jobs, and that's (usually) what I don't want to hear. And for those people that are bored and/or don't like their jobs, it's a question they don't like to answer as well.
ReplyDeleteSo what's a better question to ask? I personally begin some conversations with "Who are you and about what are you passionate?"
Excellent point about not working the room. I'd rather talk to someone for an extended period of time and get to know them well rather than speak with someone for just a few minutes and then nothing to come out of that conversation.
Great point about the "What do you do?" question. I hadn't thought about that one. I typically end up going to events where most people are entrepreneurs so they naturally love their jobs. I'll have to keep in mind the "What are you passionate about" question when I expand on my networking events.
ReplyDelete